The definition of a meteorite is a rock that is found on Earth that did not form on Earth.
Facts About Meteorites
- As of November 2012 there have been 1910 meteorites found in the United States.
- Meteorites have fallen in almost every state in the United States with the exception of four - Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.
- The earliest meteorite to be found in the United States was uncovered in Havana, Illinois sometime during the 1940s.
- Most of the meteorites that have been found in the United States are made of iron.
An example of a meteorite is the 34,000 pound iron-nickel Williamette meteorite found in 1902 in the Williamette Valley in Oregon, the largest meteorite discovered in North America.
- me′te·or·it′ic , me′te·or·it′i·cal