- The definition of maturation is the process of growing up.
An example of maturation is becoming an adult with a career and other responsibilities.
- the formation or discharge of pus; suppuration
- the act or process of maturing, esp. of becoming full-grown or fully developed
- Biol. the final stages in the development of gametes in which, through meiosis, the normal number of chromosomes is reduced by half
Origin of maturationFrench ; from Classical Latin maturatio ; from past participle of maturare: see mature
- The process of becoming mature.
- Biology a. The processes by which gametes are formed, including the reduction of chromosomes in a germ cell from the diploid number to the haploid number by meiosis.b. The final differentiation processes in biological systems, such as the final ripening of a seed or the attainment of full functional capacity by a cell, a tissue, or an organ.
(countable and uncountable, plural maturations)