The definition of maturation is the process of growing up.
An example of maturation is becoming an adult with a career and other responsibilities.
- the formation or discharge of pus; suppuration
- the act or process of maturing, esp. of becoming full-grown or fully developed
- Biol. the final stages in the development of gametes in which, through meiosis, the normal number of chromosomes is reduced by half
Origin of maturationFrench from Classical Latin maturatio from past participle of maturare: see maturate
- The process of becoming mature.
- Biology a. The processes by which gametes are formed, including the reduction of chromosomes in a germ cell from the diploid number to the haploid number by meiosis.b. The final differentiation processes in biological systems, such as the final ripening of a seed or the attainment of full functional capacity by a cell, a tissue, or an organ.
(countable and uncountable, plural maturations)
maturate +"Ž -ion