- an edible East Indian fruit somewhat like an orange, with a thick, reddish-brown rind and sweet, white, juicy, segmented pulp
- the tree (Garcinia mangostana) of the Saint-John's-wort family, on which it grows
Origin of mangosteenMalay mangustan
- An evergreen tree (Garcinia mangostana) of Southeast Asia, having thick leathery leaves and large edible fruit.
- The fruit of this tree, having a hard purple rind containing several white juicy segments.
Origin of mangosteenMalay manggista, mangustan, variant of manggis.
- A tropical fruit of the tree Garcinia mangostana.
Malay mangustan, variant of manggis.