- a defensive opening in the floor of a projecting gallery or parapet, between supports or corbels, or in the roof over an entrance, through which hot liquids, heavy stones, etc. could be dropped upon attackers, etc.
- a gallery, parapet, etc. with such openings
Origin of machicolationfrom machicolate
- a. A projecting gallery at the top of a castle wall, supported by a row of corbels and having openings in the floor through which stones and boiling liquids could be dropped on attackers.b. One of these openings.
- A row of small projecting arches used as an ornamental architectural feature.
- An opening between corbels that support a projecting parapet; an opening in the floor of a gallery or the roof of a portal, from which missiles can be shot or dropped upon assailants attacking the base of the walls; the construction of such defenses.
- The act of discharging missiles or pouring burning or melted substances upon assailants through such apertures.