Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- the tendency or disposition to take words, statements, etc. in their literal sense
- thoroughgoing realism in art
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Adherence to the explicit sense of a given text or doctrine.
- Literal portrayal; realism.
- litˈer·al·ist noun
- litˌer·al·isˈtic adjective