Literacy is defined as being able to read and write, or to having knowledge about a specific subject.noun
- When you can read, this is an example of literacy.
- When you are familiar with math, this is an example of literacy in mathematics.
- ability to read and write
- knowledgeability or capability: computer literacy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write. See Usage Note at literate.
- The condition or quality of being knowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural literacy; biblical literacy.