- Literacy is defined as being able to read and write, or to having knowledge about a specific subject.
- When you can read, this is an example of literacy.
- When you are familiar with math, this is an example of literacy in mathematics.
Literacy is the ability to read and write.
literacy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
the state or quality of being literate; specif.,
- ability to read and write
- knowledgeability or capability: computer literacy
literacy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write. See Usage Note at literate.
- The condition or quality of being knowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural literacy; biblical literacy.