- a formal permission to do something; esp. authorization by law to do some specified thing: license to marry, practice medicine, hunt, etc.
- a document, printed tag, permit, etc. indicating that such permission has been granted
- freedom to deviate from strict conduct, rule, or practice, generally permitted by common consent: poetic license
- an instance of such deviation
- excessive, undisciplined freedom, constituting an abuse of liberty
OFr < L licentia < licens, prp. of licere, to be permitted: see leisure
transitive verb licensed, licensing
to give license or a license to or for; permit formally