The definition of Libra is a constellation located between Virgo and Scorpio.
Facts About Libra
- Libra is a very faint constellation. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, it is best to view Libra in the spring.
- Currently it represents a set of scales. Since the Sun rises directly in the east and set directly in the west, there was equilibrium between the upper world and the under world. So the scale may have been chosen for that reason.
An example of Libra is the astrological sign of people born between September 24 and October 23.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. librae
- Obsolete pound: the abbreviation for the unit of measure, lb., derives from this word and the symbol for the Brit. monetary unit, £, derives from its first letter
- an ancient Roman unit of weight, equal to about 12 ounces
Origin: Sp: cf. pound
- a former gold coin of Peru
- a unit of weight in Spain, and various Latin American countries, equal to about one pound
Origin: ME < L
- a S constellation between Virgo and Scorpius; the Scales; the Balance
- the seventh sign of the zodiac, entered by the sun about September 23also called the Scales
- a person born under this signalso Libran
Origin: L, a balance
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. li·brae Abbr. lb.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin lībra.
- A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Scorpius and Virgo. Also called Balance, Scales.
- a. The seventh sign of the zodiac in astrology. Also called Balance, Scales.b. One who is born under this sign.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin Lībra, from lībra, balance, the constellation Libra.
libra - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.