- a person who reads the Scripture lessons in a church service
- Eccles. that one of the minor orders whose special function is to read the Scriptures (except the Gospel) at worship services
- a college or university lecturer, esp. in Europe
Origin of lectorLate Middle English from L, reader (in ML(Ec), church officer) from lectus: see lectern
- A person who reads aloud certain of the scriptural passages used in a church service.
- A public lecturer or reader in certain universities.
Origin of lectorMiddle English from Late Latin lēctor from Latin reader from lēctus past participle of legere to read ; see lecture .