- a person who reads the Scripture lessons in a church service
- Eccles. that one of the minor orders whose special function is to read the Scriptures (except the Gospel) at worship services
- a college or university lecturer, esp. in Europe
Origin of lectorLate Middle English ; from L, reader (in ML(Ec), church officer) ; from lectus: see lectern
- A person who reads aloud certain of the scriptural passages used in a church service.
- A public lecturer or reader in certain universities.
Origin of lectorMiddle English, from Late Latin l&emacron;ctor, from Latin, reader, from l&emacron;ctus, past participle of legere, to read; see lecture.