- Now Rare the version in a particular text of a certain passage
- a selection, as of Scripture, forming part of a religious service; lesson
Origin of lectionClassical Latin lectio ; from lectus: see lectin
- A variant reading or transcription of a text or copy.
- A reading from Scripture that forms a part of a church service.
Origin of lectionLatin lēctiō, lēctiōn-, a reading; see lesson.
- (ecclesiastical) A reading of a religious text; a lesson to be read in church etc.
- 1885, This man [...] came to dwell in our city, and here founded this holy house, and he hath edified us by his litanies and his lections of the Koran — Sir Richard Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night, Night 13