- Now Rare the version in a particular text of a certain passage
- a selection, as of Scripture, forming part of a religious service; lesson
Origin of lectionClassical Latin lectio ; from lectus: see lectin
- A variant reading or transcription of a text or copy.
- A reading from Scripture that forms a part of a church service.
Origin of lectionLatin lēctiō, lēctiōn-, a reading; see lesson.
- (ecclesiastical) A reading of a religious text; a lesson to be read in church etc.
From Old French lection, from Latin lÄ“ctiÅnem, form of lÄ“ctiÅ, from legÅ (“I read, I gather").