- Lawrence, D(avid) H(erbert) 1885-1930; Eng. novelist & poet
- Lawrence, Ernest O(rlando) 1901-58; U.S. physicist
- Lawrence, Gertrude (born Gertrud Alexandra Dagmar Lawrence Klasen) 1898-1952; Eng. actress
- Lawrence, T(homas) E(dward) (changed name, 1927, to Thomas Edward Shaw) 1888-1935; Brit. adventurer & writercalled Lawrence of Arabia
- Lawrence, Sir Thomas 1769-1830; Eng. portrait painter
Origin: after Abbot Lawrence (1792-1855), Boston merchant, founder of the towncity in NE Mass.: pop. 72,000
Origin: after Amos A. Lawrence (1814-86), Boston manufacturer; active in antislavery group that founded the towncity in NE Kans., on the Kansas River: pop. 80,000
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A city of northeast Kansas on the Kansas River east-southeast of Topeka. It was founded in 1854 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society and was the scene of a proslavery raid (1856) that sparked retaliatory killings by the abolitionist John Brown. Population: 88,600.
- A city of northeast Massachusetts on the Merrimack River north-northeast of Lowell. Laid out as an industrial town in 1845, it soon became one of the world's greatest centers for woolen textiles. Many of the old mills have now been renovated. Population: 70,700.
, D(avid) H(erbert) 1885-1930.
, Ernest Orlando 1901-1958.
, Gertrude 1898-1952.
, Sir Thomas 1769-1830.
, T(homas) E(dward) Known as “Lawrence of Arabia.” 1888-1935.