a masculine name
- Lawrence, D(avid) H(erbert) 1885-1930; Eng. novelist & poet
- Lawrence, Ernest O(rlando) 1901-58; U.S. physicist
- Lawrence, Gertrude (born Gertrud Alexandra Dagmar Lawrence Klasen) 1898-1952; Eng. actress
- Lawrence, T(homas) E(dward) (changed name, 1927, to Thomas Edward Shaw) 1888-1935; Brit. adventurer & writercalled Lawrence of Arabia
- Lawrence, Sir Thomas 1769-1830; Eng. portrait painter
Origin of Lawrenceafter Abbot Lawrence (1792-1855), Boston merchant, founder of the town city in NE Mass.: pop. 72,000
Origin of Lawrenceafter Amos A. Lawrence (1814-86), Boston manufacturer; active in antislavery group that founded the town city in NE Kans., on the Kansas River: pop. 80,000
- A city of northeast Kansas on the Kansas River east-southeast of Topeka. Founded in 1854, it was the scene of a proslavery raid (1856) that sparked retaliatory killings by the abolitionist John Brown.
- A city of northeast Massachusetts on the Merrimack River north-northeast of Lowell. Laid out as an industrial town in 1845, it grew as a textile center.