- the seed of the common garden bean, esp. the large, reddish seed of some varieties, eaten as a vegetable
- the common garden bean plant (Phaseolus vulgaris)
Origin of kidney beanso named from its shape
- a. An annual plant (Phaseolus vulgaris) in the pea family, cultivated in many forms for its edible pods and kidney-shaped seeds.b. A seed of this plant.
- a. A form of this plant bearing dark red seeds.b. A seed of this plant. Also called red kidney bean.
(plural kidney beans)
- A variety of common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris, with a dark-red skin.