A map of the state of Kentucky.
Kentucky definition by Webster's New World
- state of the EC U.S.: admitted, 1792; 39,728 sq mi (102,896 sq km); pop. 4,042,000; cap. Frankfort: abbrev. KY or Ky
- river in E Ky., flowing northwest into the Ohio: 259 mi (417 km)
Origin: earlier (18th circa ) Kentucke (River), of Iroquois or Shawnee origin, originally
Kentucky definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Abbr. KY or Ky. or Ken.
- Ken·tuckˈi·an adjective & n.
Kentucky - Cultural Definition
State in the east-central United States bordered by Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio to the north; West Virginia and Virginia to the east; Tennessee to the south; and Missouri to the west. Its capital is Frankfort. Louisville is its largest city.
- The state is known for the breeding of race horses. The Kentucky Derby, a famous horse race, is held every year in Louisville.
- Kentucky bluegrass is a type of folk music that originated in the southern United States. The music is named for a bluish-tinged grass that grows in Kentucky.