- Slang an athlete, esp. a male athlete
- Sports A jockey.
- A disc jockey.
Origin of jockShort for jockey
- An athletic supporter.
- Sports An athlete, especially in a school setting.
Origin of jockShort for jockstrap
- (slang, rare, dated) The penis.
- An athletic supporter worn by men to support the genitals especially during sports, a jockstrap.
- (US, slang) A young male athlete (through college age).
- (US, slang, pejorative) An enthusiastic athlete or sports fan, especially one with few other interests. A slow-witted person of large size and great physical strength. A pretty boy that shows off in sport.
- (US, slang, computing) A specialist computer programmer
The computer slang meanings are derived from jockey. The athletic slang meanings in turn date from the middle 20th century and are simple abbreviations of jockstrap, which is in turn derived from the older slang meaning of jock itself, which dates from the 17th century, and whose etymology is unknown.
(third-person singular simple present jocks, present participle jocking, simple past and past participle jocked)
- A nickname.
- (UK, slang) a Scot
Some speakers consider the term pejorative. Others consider it no more pejorative than, for example, the similar generic use of "Joe".
Believed to be a Scots variant of Jack. Because of its specific association with Scotland, the British English slang term is believed by most sources to be derived from the frequency of the use of the given name on Scotland, rather than from the "common man" etymology.
- Women can use whole garlic cloves, acidophilus or an apple cider vinegar douche to cure a yeast infection, while jock itch can be treated with applications of tea tree oil or honey, and responds well to an increase of garlic in the diet.
- Sports bras have come a long way since their repurposed jock strap days and come in all sorts of different design styles and colors, though there are still two major types of sports bras when it comes to construction.
- I'm a jock now.
- In spite of him being the school jock, I still had my standards.
- "You're like a junior high jock trapped in a Redwood tree," she replied and planted her hands in the middle of his chest to push him away.