- a condition in which the eyeballs, the skin, and the urine become abnormally yellowish as a result of increased amounts of bile pigments in the blood
- popularly a disease causing this condition, as hepatitis
- a bitter or prejudiced state of mind, caused by jealousy, envy, etc.
Origin of jaundiceMiddle English jaundis from Old French jaunisse from jaune, yellow from Classical Latin galbinus, greenish yellow from galbus, yellow, probably via Celtic an unverified form galbos from Indo-European base an unverified form ghel-, yellow
transitive verb-·diced, -·dic·ing
- to cause to have jaundice
- to make bitter or prejudiced through jealousy, envy, etc.