- Bible the ladder from earth to heaven that Jacob saw in a dream: Gen. 28:12
- a portable ladder used on ships and having, typically, wooden rungs and rope or wire sides
- any of several plants (genus Polemonium) of the phlox family, with pinnately compound leaves and small, blue, bell-shaped flowers
- carrion flower (sense )
- Nautical A rope or chain ladder with rigid rungs.
- Any of various plants of the genus Polemonium, especially P. caeruleum, having bell-shaped usually blue flowers and alternate, pinnately compound leaves with numerous leaflets.
Origin of Jacob's ladderFrom the ladder seen by the biblical patriarch Jacob in a dream (Genesis 28:12).
(plural Jacob's ladders)
- A flowering plant of the genus Polemonium.
- (nautical) A vertical ladder from the ratline to the upper masts.
- A toy consisting of blocks of wood, held together by strings or ribbons, that appear to cascade downward as they flip over.
- A pocketknife consisting of two handle segments joined by a pivot, with a blade connected by a second pivot to the end of one handle segment.
- (mathematics) A noncompact surface resembling a ladder made of handlebodies.
After the Biblical Ladder of Jacob.