- Bible the ladder from earth to heaven that Jacob saw in a dream: Gen. 28:12
- a portable ladder used on ships and having, typically, wooden rungs and rope or wire sides
- any of several plants (genus Polemonium) of the phlox family, with pinnately compound leaves and small, blue, bell-shaped flowers
- carrion flower (sense )
See Jacob's ladder in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Nautical A rope or chain ladder with rigid rungs.
- Any of various plants of the genus Polemonium, especially P. caeruleum, having blue flowers and alternate, pinnately compound leaves with numerous leaflets.
Origin: From the ladder seen by the biblical patriarch Jacob in a dream (Genesis 28:12)
Learn more about Jacob's ladder