- simple past tense and past participle of intervene
Variant of intervene
intransitive verbintervened, intervening
- to come, be, or lie between
- to take place between two events, points of time, etc.
- to come or be in between as something unnecessary or irrelevant
- to come between as an influence, as in order to modify, settle, or hinder some action, argument, etc.
- Law to come in as a third party to a suit, to protect one's own interests
Origin of interveneClassical Latin intervenire ; from inter-, between + venire, to come