- Integration is defined as mixing things or people together that were formerly separated.
An example of integration is when the schools were desegregated and there were no longer separate public schools for African Americans.
integration definition by Webster's New World
- an integrating or being integrated
- ☆ the bringing of different racial or ethnic groups into free and equal association
- Math. the process of finding an integral when given a quantity or function that is the derivative or differential of that integral
- Psychol. the organization of various traits, feelings, attitudes, etc. into one harmonious personality
Origin: Classical Latin integratio
- integrational adjective
integration definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or process of integrating.b. The state of becoming integrated.
- The bringing of people of different racial or ethnic groups into unrestricted and equal association, as in society or an organization; desegregation.
- Psychology The organization of the psychological or social traits and tendencies of a personality into a harmonious whole.
- Mathematics The process of computing an integral; the inverse of differentiation.
- Electronics The process of placing more than one integrated circuit on a single chip.
integration - Computer Definition
The combining of hardware and software components so that they work together. Different types of hardware may be integrated with other hardware. Software may be integrated into hardware, but integrating software is the integration that takes place most of the time in the IT world. See software integration.
integration - Cultural Definition
The free association of people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds (see ethnicity); a goal of the civil rights movement to overcome policies of segregation that have been practiced in the United States.
- Those favoring integration of schools by such forceful means as busing or affirmative action have frequently argued that integration of schools will lead to integration of society as a whole. (See separate but equal.)
integration - Legal Definition
- The merger of all agreements and understandings between parties pertaining to a particular subject matter into a single written agreement.
- The removal of racial barriers in society, providing equal access to all public facilities.
integration - Medical Definition
- The state of combination or the process of combining into completeness and harmony.
- The organization of the psychological or social traits and tendencies of a personality into a harmonious whole.
- A physiological increase or building up, as by accretion or anabolism.
- A recombination event in which a genetic element is inserted.
integration - Science Definition