- The definition of assimilation is to become like others, or help another person to adapt to a new environment.
An example of assimilation is the change of dress and behaviors an immigrant may go through when living in a new country.
- Assimilation is defined as to learn and comprehend.
An example of assimilation is to pick up playing a musical instrument or learning about history, writing or any other subject something quickly.
- In physiology, assimilation is the process of the body converting food.
An example of assimilation is the bodies usage of a protein drink after a workout.
assimilation definition by Webster's New World
- the cultural absorption of a minority group into the main cultural body
- Linguis. a process in which a sound, influenced by a neighboring sound, tends to become like it in articulation: the (n) in “in-” meaning “not” becomes (l) by assimilation in forming “illiterate”
- Physiol. the change of digested food into the protoplasm of an animal; also, the absorption and incorporation of nutritive elements by plants, as in photosynthesis
assimilation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or process of assimilating.b. The state of being assimilated.
- Physiology The conversion of nutriments into living tissue; constructive metabolism.
- Linguistics The process by which a sound is modified so that it becomes similar or identical to an adjacent or nearby sound. For example, the prefix in- becomes im- in impossible by assimilation to the labial p of possible.
- The process whereby a minority group gradually adopts the customs and attitudes of the prevailing culture.
assimilation - Cultural Definition
The process by which a person or persons acquire the social and psychological characteristics of a group: “Waves of immigrants have been assimilated into the American culture.”
assimilation - Investment & Finance Definition
The absorption by the public of a new stock issue after it has been sold in its entirety by the underwriter.Webster's New World Finance and Investment Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
assimilation - Medical Definition
- The incorporation of digested substances from food into the tissues of an organism.
- The amalgamation and modification of newly perceived information and experiences into the existing cognitive structure.
assimilation - Science Definition