- Institutional is defined as something that is plain looking and uniform in style.
An example of institutional is a building’s decorations that include plain white walls and carpet in a color that doesn’t show stains.
- The definition of institutional is having to do with an institution or an established company or place.
An example of institutional is a catalog for hospital furnishings.
- of, characteristic of, or having the nature of, an institution, specif. as in being standardized, impersonal, dreary, etc.
- of or to institutions, rather than individuals: institutional sales
- designating advertising that is intended primarily to gain prestige and goodwill rather than immediate sales
- Of or relating to an institution or institutions.
- Organized as or forming an institution: institutional religion.
- Characteristic or suggestive of an institution, especially in being uniform, dull, or unimaginative: institutional furniture; a pale institutional green.
(comparative more institutional, superlative most institutional)
institution + -al.