- The definition of instability is a lack of stability or balance, or a tendency towards unpredictable or erratic behavior.
When you swing from one emotion to another, first feeling happy and then very sad for no reason, this is an example of emotional instability.
instability definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- lack of stability; unstableness; specif.,
- lack of firmness or steadiness
- lack of determination; irresolution
- tendency to behave or react violently or erratically: the instability of a chemical compound, emotional instability
instability definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·sta·bil·i·ties
- Lack of physical stability; unsteadiness.
- The quality or condition of being erratic or undependable: emotional instability; political instability.