The definition of inflammatory is something that will cause swelling of a part of the body, something that is related to swelling or speech or writing which is likely to incite anger or violent feelings.adjective
- A rash that causes swelling is an example of something that would be described as inflammatory.
- An offensive piece of writing published in a local newspaper is an example of something that would be described as inflammatory.
- rousing or likely to rouse excitement, anger, violence, rioting, etc.: an inflammatory speech
- Med. of, caused by, or characterized by inflammation
Origin: < L inflammatus, pp. of inflammare (see in- & flame) + -ory
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Arousing passion or strong emotion, especially anger, belligerence, or desire.
- Characterized or caused by inflammation.
- in·flamˌma·toˈri·ly adverb
inflammatory - Medical Definition