- The definition of inflammatory is something that will cause swelling of a part of the body, something that is related to swelling or speech or writing which is likely to incite anger or violent feelings.
- A rash that causes swelling is an example of something that would be described as inflammatory.
- An offensive piece of writing published in a local newspaper is an example of something that would be described as inflammatory.
- rousing or likely to rouse excitement, anger, violence, rioting, etc.: an inflammatory speech
- Med. of, caused by, or characterized by inflammation
Origin of inflammatory; from Classical Latin inflammatus, past participle of inflammare (see in- and amp; flame) + -ory
- Arousing passion or strong emotion, especially anger, belligerence, or desire.
- Caused or characterized by inflammation: inflammatory arthritis.
- Relating to or involved in inflammation: inflammatory cells.
(comparative more inflammatory, superlative most inflammatory)
- Any material that causes inflammation