not consequent; specif.,
- not following as a result
- not following as a logical inference or conclusion; irrelevant
- not proceeding in logical sequence; characterized by lack of logic
Origin of inconsequentClassical Latin inconsequens
- Having no importance or significance.
- Inconsistent or illogical: inconsequent reasoning.
- Proceeding without a natural or logical sequence; haphazard: a speech full of inconsequent statements.
Origin of inconsequentLate Latin incōnsequēns incōnsequent-Latin in- not ; see in- 1. Latin cōnsequēns consequent ; see consequent .
(comparative more inconsequent, superlative most inconsequent)
- (archaic) Alternative form of inconsequential.
From Middle French inconséquent