- An example of when you hypnotize is when you swing a watch in front of someone's eyes and chant until that person falls into a state of consciousness where you can make him believe that he is a chicken instead of a person.
- When a child sits spellbound in front of his first cartoon movie and can't look away, this is an example of when the movie hypnotizes the child.
The definition of hypnotize is to put into a state of consciousness where a person seems to be sleeping but can hear and is highly responsive to suggestions, or to completely capture the attention of someone.
- to put into a state of hypnosis
- to affect or influence by or as if by hypnotism; spellbind
transitive verbhyp·no·tized, hyp·no·tiz·ing, hyp·no·tiz·es
- To put into a state of hypnosis.
- To fascinate by or as if by hypnosis.
(third-person singular simple present hypnotizes, present participle hypnotizing, simple past and past participle hypnotized)
- To induce somebody into a state of hypnosis.