- a member of the light cavalry of Hungary, formed in the 15th c.
- a member of any European regiment of light-armed cavalry, usually with brilliant dress uniforms
Origin of hussarHungarian huszár, origin, originally , highwayman ; from Serbian husar, gusar ; from Italian corsaro: see corsair
- A horseman of the Hungarian light cavalry organized during the 1400s.
- A member of any of similar, ornately uniformed European units of light cavalry.
Origin of hussarHungarian huszár, from Serbian husar, highwayman, from Old Italian corsaro; see corsair.
- (historical) A member of the national cavalry of Hungary or Croatia.
- A member of the light cavalry of any of several European armies.