- a member of the light cavalry of Hungary, formed in the 15th c.
- a member of any European regiment of light-armed cavalry, usually with brilliant dress uniforms
Origin of hussarHungarian huszár, origin, originally , highwayman from Serbian husar, gusar from Italian corsaro: see corsair
- A horseman of the Hungarian light cavalry organized during the 1400s.
- A member of any of similar, ornately uniformed European units of light cavalry.
Origin of hussarHungarian huszár of Slavic originSerbian Church Slavonic husarĭ highwayman, raider and Serbo-Croatian husa plundering, invasion, trap both from Proto-Slavic x&oogon;sa raiding, robbery, band of robbers of Germanic originGothic hansa and Old English hōs troop, band and Middle Low German hanse hanse
- (historical) A member of the national cavalry of Hungary or Croatia.
- A member of the light cavalry of any of several European armies.