- a person or thing that howls
- howler monkey
- Chiefly Brit., Informal a ludicrous blunder
- One that howls: a dog that is a persistent howler.
- A howler monkey.
- Slang A laughably stupid blunder.
- That which howls, especially an animal which howls, such as a wolf or a howler monkey.
- A person hired to howl at a funeral
Other senses are derivatives of the intensifier "howling", as in "howling wilderness", (Deuteronomy 32:10)
- A painfully obvious mistake.
- A hilarious joke.
- A bitterly cold day
- A heavy fall, literally or figuratively
- A serious accident (especially to come a howler or go a howler, e.g. "Our hansom came a howler"; compare: come a cropper)
- A tremendous lie
- A fashionably but extravagantly overdressed man, a "howling swell"
- A calamity howler is "one that makes dismal predictions of impending disaster"