transitive verb-·ized·, -·iz·ing
to send to, put in, or admit to a hospital
transitive verbhos·pi·tal·ized, hos·pi·tal·iz·ing, hos·pi·tal·iz·es
To place in a hospital for treatment, care, or observation.
(third-person singular simple present hospitalizes, present participle hospitalizing, simple past and past participle hospitalized)
- To send to hospital; to admit (a person) to hospital.
- (medicine, archaic) To render (a building) unfit for habitation, by long continued use as a hospital.
- (of an injury, illness, event, or person) To cause (a person) to require hospitalization.
- Said of an injury or illness.
- Said of an assailant or other person.