Near the town a party of Highlanders were taken prisoners in 1648 by Cromwell's troops, and hanged in an adjoining wood, still called Gallow's Cross.
The Ruthenian highlanders bear the name of Huzulians.
In 1715 William Mackintosh of Borlum (1662-1743) and his force of Jacobite Highlanders captured the Citadel, of which only the name of Citadel Street and the archway in Couper Street have preserved the memory.
In 1715 the discontented Highlanders mutinied on the Common, Soo of them abandoning their cause, and in 1745 Prince Charles Edward's cavalry passed southward through the town.
His early interest in the history and antiquities of the Scottish Highlands bore its first fruit in 1837, when he published The Highlanders of Scotland, their Origin, History and Antiquities.