- The definition of Greek is a person born in Greece, a person who's ancestors were from Greece or the language spoken by people from Greece.
- An example of Greek is someone born and still living on the island Crete.
- An example of Greek is the language spoken by those living in Athens, Greece.
A beautiful Greek town.
Greek definition by Webster's New World
- a person born or living in ancient or modern Greece
- the language of the Greeks, constituting a separate branch of the Indo-European language family
- ancient Greek, esp. that of the classical period (c. 8th-4th cent. )
- ☆ Informal a member of a Greek-letter fraternity or sorority
Origin: Middle English Greke ; from Old English Grec ; from Classical Latin Graecus ; from Classical Greek Graikos, name origin, originally used by Illyrians for the Dorians in Epirus (; from Grāi, Grāii ; from Grāes, native name of the people of Epirus); later applied by the people of Italy to all Hellenes
- of ancient or modern Greece or its people, language, or culture
- designating or of Greek Catholics or the Greek Orthodox Church
Origin: ME Grec < the n. & < Fr grec < L Graecus
Greek definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The Indo-European language of the Greeks.b. Greek language and literature from the middle of the eighth century B.C. to the end of the third century A.D., especially the Attic Greek of the fifth and fourth centuries B.C.
- a. A native or inhabitant of Greece.b. A person of Greek ancestry.
- Informal A member of a fraternity or sorority that has its name composed of Greek letters.
- Informal Something that is unintelligible: Quantum mechanics is Greek to me.
Origin: Middle English Grek, from Old English Grēcas, the Greeks, from Latin Graecus, Greek, from Greek Graikos, tribal name.
greek - Computer Definition
In desktop publishing, to display text in a representative form in which the actual letters are not discernible, because the screen resolution isn't high enough to display them properly. The software lets you set which font sizes should be greeked. The term comes from typography and graphics design, in which Greek or Latin words are used in a mockup. They hold the position and represent the real text that will be forthcoming. Foreign symbols are used so that the text can be quickly identified as fake.
greek - Phrases/Idioms
be Greek to someone