- of Ionia or its people or culture; Ionian
- of Ionic (the language variety)
- designating or of a classical (Greek or Roman) order of architecture, distinguished by ornamental scrolls (spiral volutes) on the capitals
- of the Ionic of Greek and Latin prosody
Origin of IonicClassical Latin Ionicus from Classical Greek I?nikos
- Gr. & Latin Prosody
- either of two feet consisting of four syllables, the first two long and the second two short or the first two short and the second two long
- verse or meter of such feet
- the variety of the ancient Greek language spoken in Ionia, closely related to that of ancient Attica
- Of or relating to Ionia or the Ionians.
- Architecture Of or relating to the Ionic order.
- (chemistry) of, relating to, or containing ions
ion + -ic
- A sub-dialect of the Attic-Ionic dialectal group of Ancient Greek consisting of Old Ionic and New Ionic.
From Ancient Greek ιωνικός (ionikos, “related to Ionians”).