An example of gravitation is the physical pull that causes an apple to drop down when it rolls off a table.
- the act, process, or fact of gravitating
- the force by which every mass or particle of matter, including photons, attracts and is attracted by every other mass or particle of matter
- the tendency of these masses or particles to move toward each other
Origin of gravitationModern Latin gravitatio: see gravitate
- Physics a. The natural phenomenon of attraction between physical objects with mass; the weakest of the four fundamental forces of nature. Also called gravity.b. The act or process of moving under the influence of this attraction.c. See gravitational interaction.
- A movement toward a source of attraction: the gravitation of the middle classes to the suburbs.