Gravely is defined as something done seriously or somberly, or something that is very serious and bad.adverb
- If you have been stabbed in the heart and may die, this is an example of a time when you are gravely injured.
- If you speak in a somber and serious manner about a subject, this is an example of a time when you speak gravely.
Variant of grave
- requiring serious thought; important; weighty: grave doubts
- not light or trifling in nature or in consequence; grievous: a grave sin
- seriously threatening health, well-being, or life; critical; dangerous: a grave illness
- seriously contrary to what is right or desirable; extremely bad: a grave fault
- Theol. so evil as to cause spiritual death; mortal: a grave sin
- dignified and solemn or sedate in manner or mien
- somber; dull: grave colors
- low or deep in pitch
Origin: Fr < L gravis, heavy, weighty < IE base *gwer-, heavy, mill > quern, Gr barys, heavy, Sans gurúh, grave
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.