grave + -ly
- If you have been stabbed in the heart and may die, this is an example of a time when you are gravely injured.
- If you speak in a somber and serious manner about a subject, this is an example of a time when you speak gravely.
Gravely is defined as something done seriously or somberly, or something that is very serious and bad.
- She could almost hear his gravely voice...
- Pete's gravely voice cut through her thoughts like sand on a frying pan.
- This appears gravely to misread history.
- "Yes," she answered, looking gravely at his tousled hair and blinking gray eyes.
- "Yes, they worked all day and didn't play!" remarked the tall, round- faced peasant gravely, pointing with a significant wink at the dictionaries that were on the top.