- simple past tense and past participle of grab
Variant of grab
transitive verbgrabbed, grabbing
- to seize or snatch suddenly; take roughly and quickly
- to get possession of by unscrupulous methods
- ☆ Slang to attract strongly the attention of; impress greatly
Origin of grabprobably ; from Middle Dutch grabben, akin to Old Norse grapa, grasp ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ghrebh- from source Sanskrit grabh-, to seize
to grab or try to grab something: often with for, at, onto, etc.
- the act of grabbing
- something grabbed
- any of various mechanical devices for clutching something to be hoisted
- Chiefly Brit. clamshell (sense )
up for grabs☆
Slang available to the highest bidder, most aggressive person, etc.