A fora in Rome.
- The definition of a fora is a place where you did business in Rome, or a general place to meet and discuss.
- An example of a fora is the ruins of the Roman Forum.
- A roundtable discussion on politics is an example of a fora.
A plural of forum.
- plural form of forum
The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage.
- Ref: Modern English Usage, 2nd Edition, ed. Sir Ernest Gowers, Oxford 1968 (article '-um', p.658).
Variant of forum
nounpl. forums or fora
- the public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city or town, where legal and political business was conducted
- a law court; tribunal
- an assembly, place, radio program, etc. for the discussion of public matters or current questions
- an opportunity for open discussion
Origin of forumClassical Latin area out-of-doors, marketplace, origin, originally uncertain or unknown; perhaps area with board fence ; from forus, board ; from Indo-European an unverified form bhoros: see bar
the forum of ancient Rome