- a portable electric light, usually operated by batteries
- a light that shines in flashes, used for signaling, as in lighthouses, airplane beacons, etc.in nautical usage, usually flashing light
- a brief, dazzling light for taking photographs at night or indoors
- A small portable lamp usually powered by batteries.
- A brief brilliant flood of light from a photographic lamp.
- A bright light, as of a signal lamp, that flashes at regular intervals.
- She raised the flashlight, her attention caught by the dark stain on his white shirt.
- She found her flashlight and ran to the front door.
- I went out on the porch and turned the flashlight on the spot, but I didn't see anyone.
- There was no light in the back of the house and I didn't have a flashlight so I had trouble getting the key in the lock.
- A flashlight blinded her.