five times ten
Origin of fiftyMiddle English fifti from Old English fiftig: see five and -ty
the cardinal number between forty-nine and fifty-one; 50; L
the numbers or years, as of a century, from fifty through fifty-nine
- The cardinal number equal to 5 × 10.
- fifties a. A decade or the numbers from 50 to 59: They began playing golf in their fifties. With the sunshine, the temperature reached the fifties.b. often Fifties The decade from 50 to 59 in a century.
- A fifty-dollar bill.
Origin of fiftyMiddle English fifti from Old English fīftig ; see penkwe in Indo-European roots.
- Ordinal: fiftieth.
- (countable) A fifty-dollar bill.
- Do you want small bills or are fifties OK?
- (countable) A fifty-pound note.
Old English fīftiġ