The woman on the right feels like a fifth wheel.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a horizontal wheel-like structure placed over the front axle of a carriage or wagon to support it on turns
- ☆ a similar structure on the rear of the cab of a tractor-trailer, serving as a coupling for attaching the trailer
- an unnecessary or superfluous person or thing
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A wheel or portion of a wheel placed horizontally over the forward axle of a carriage to provide support and stability during turns.b. A similar device over the rear axle or axles of a tractor or pickup truck, serving as a coupling for a semitrailer.
- An additional wheel carried on a four-wheeled vehicle as a spare.
- An extra and unnecessary person or thing.
fifth wheel - Cultural Definition
A hanger-on; a person who serves no function: “The vice president felt like a fifth wheel after his exclusion from the committee.”