- in a plain and definite way; explicitly
- for the specific purpose; particularly
Expressly is defined as in a very clear way.
An example of expressly is a woman telling a man that she's absolutely, under no circumstances interested in him.
- In an express or a definite manner; explicitly: I expressly ordered the visitor to leave.
- Especially; particularly: tools designed expressly for left-handed workers.
express + -ly
- It was expressly censured by Pope John XXI.
- This is not expressly stated in the New Testament but is regarded as a necessary inference.
- 2) expressly calls him a sophist.
- This is expressly stated by Eusebius (Praep. Evangel.
- Its north-eastern boundaries were decided by the Anglo-Russian agreement of 1873, which expressly acknowledged "Badakshan with its dependent district Wakhan" as "fully belonging to the amir of Kabul," and limited it to the left or southern bank of the Oxus.