Variant of error
- the state of believing what is untrue, incorrect, or wrong
- a wrong belief; incorrect opinion
- something incorrectly done through ignorance or carelessness; mistake
- a departure from the accepted moral code; transgression; wrongdoing; sin
- the difference between a computed or estimated result and the actual value, as in mathematics
- the amount by which something deviates from what is required
- ☆ Baseball a misplay in fielding or throwing a ball which allows a runner to reach base or to advance to the next base: neither a wild pitch nor a passed ball is an error
- Law a mistake in judgment or procedure of a court of record, usually prejudicial to one of the parties
- Philately a flaw in a stamp or stamps from a defect in a printing plate, a difference in color, etc.
Origin: ME & OFr errour < L error < errare: see err
- errorless adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.