- Gr. Myth. the goddess of strife and discord
- a large dwarf planet of the solar system, orbiting beyond, & roughly the size of, Pluto: diameter, c. 2,330 km (c. 1,450 mi); one satellite
Origin of ErisClassical Latin from Classical Greek Eris, literally , strife from Indo-European an unverified form erei- from base an unverified form er-, to set in motion from source run
- The goddess of discord.
- A dwarf planet with a diameter of about 2,400 kilometers (1,500 miles).
- (Greek mythology) The goddess of discord, confusion, and strife, keeper of the golden Apple of Discord which she threw into the wedding of Peleus and Thetis starting the Trojan War; daughter of Nyx, sister and constant companion of Ares, mother of Lethe.
- (astronomy) The largest known dwarf planet in the Solar System (initially dubbed the "tenth planet"), officially known as 136199 Eris, with one natural satellite, Dysnomia.
From Ancient Greek Ἔρις (Eris), from ἔρις (eris, “strife”).