The definition of an empress is the wife of an emperor, or a woman ruler of an empire.noun
- An example of an empress is the Empress Dowager Cixi, wife to China's last emperor, Pu Yi.
- An example of an empress was the Empress Suiko ofJapan.
- the wife of an emperor
- a woman ruler of an empire
- a woman with great power or influence: the empress of his heart
Origin: ME emperesse < OFr, fem. of empereor, emperor
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The woman ruler of an empire.
- The wife or widow of an emperor.
Origin: Middle English emperesse, from Old French, feminine of empereor, emperor; see emperor.