- An example of an empress is the Empress Dowager Cixi, wife to China's last emperor, Pu Yi.
- An example of an empress was the Empress Suiko ofJapan.
The definition of an empress is the wife of an emperor, or a woman ruler of an empire.
- the wife of an emperor
- a woman ruler of an empire
- a woman with great power or influence: the empress of his heart
Origin of empressMiddle English emperesse ; from OFr, feminine of empereor, emperor
- The woman ruler of an empire.
- The wife or widow of an emperor.
Origin of empressMiddle English emperesse, from Old French, feminine of empereor, emperor; see emperor.
(third-person singular simple present empresses, present participle empressing, simple past and past participle empressed)
- Alternative form of impress.