- Embroidery is defined as the art of decorating fabrics using a needle and thread, or cloth that has been embroidered.
- When you sew your initials into a pillowcase in order to decorate it and make it prettier, this is an example of embroidery.
- A needlepoint picture of a house is an example of embroidery.
A woman working on a piece of embroidery.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the art or work of ornamenting fabric with needlework; embroidering
- embroidered work or fabric; ornamental needlework
- embellishment, as of an account
- something superficial or unnecessary but attractive or desirable
Origin: Middle English embrouderie: see embroider and amp; -ery
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. em·broi·der·ies
- The act or art of embroidering.
- Ornamentation of fabric with needlework.
- A piece of embroidered fabric.
- Embellishment with fanciful details.