- any of a genus (Echinacea) of North American plants of the composite family, esp. a coneflower (E. purpurea) with purple flowers
- a medicinal herb made from the roots, leaves, etc. of certain of these plants
- Any of several coneflowers of the genus Echinacea, having usually pinkish-purple ray flowers.
- The roots, seeds, or other parts of such a plant, used in herbal medicine.
Origin of echinaceaNew Latin Echīnācea genus name from Latin echīnus sea urchin (from its rough leaves) ; see echinus .
eastern purple coneflower
(countable and uncountable, plural echinaceas)
- (plant of genus Echinacea): purple coneflower
From scientific Latin Echinacea, from Ancient Greek ἐχῖνος (ekhinos, “hedgehog”) (because of the soft "spines" in the centre of the flower) + -acea.
Echinus (“species of anemone”) + -acea