- When your kidneys are not able to filter out waste, this is an example of kidney dysfunction.
- When a group of teens engages in drinking and other unwanted behaviors, this is an example of dysfunction.
Dysfunction is defined as an abnormality or impairment, or a deviation from accepted social behavior.
- Abnormal or impaired functioning of a bodily system or organ.
- Failure to achieve or sustain a behavioral norm or expected condition, as in a social relationship.
dys- + function
- Massage should not be used locally on affected areas (i.e., avoid using massage on the specific areas of the body that are affected by the condition) for the following conditions: eczema, goiter (thyroid dysfunction), and open skin lesions.
- Researchers hypothesize that narcolepsy is a result of dysfunction within the body's sleep cycle regulation, but they do not know how to prevent this disorder from developing or how to completely stop it once it does manifest in a person.
- The study, Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children concludes, "We have identified a chronic enterocolitis in children that may be related to neuropsychiatric dysfunction.
- A dysfunction in sensory integration can cause a person to have problems processing sensory information, which can present itself in a preference for unusual colors and repetitive behavior such as flapping hands for self-stimulation.
- Even when treated, rape and sexual assault can cause poor self-esteem, sexual dysfunction and impaired sexual and personal relations, insomnia, anxiety, eating disorders, and other psychological symptoms that last into adulthood.