An example of a double entendre is the word "hold" in the pick-up line, "If I compliment your body, will you hold it against me?"
- a term with two meanings, esp. when one of them has a risqué or indecorous connotation
- the use of such a term or terms; ambiguity
Origin of double-entendreFrench (now obsolete ), double meaning
- A word or phrase having a double meaning, especially when the second meaning is risqué.
- The use of such a word or phrase; ambiguity.
Origin of double-entendreObsolete French : double, double + entendre, to mean, interpretation.
- Alternative spelling of double entendre.
(plural double entendres)
- single entendre