- The definition of a double entendre is a word that can have two meanings, usually with one being risqué.
An example of a double entendre is the word "hold" in the pick-up line, "If I compliment your body, will you hold it against me?"
double-entendre definition by Webster's New World
- a term with two meanings, esp. when one of them has a risqué or indecorous connotation
- the use of such a term or terms; ambiguity
Origin: French (now obsolete ), double meaning
double-entendre definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A word or phrase having a double meaning, especially when the second meaning is risqué.
- The use of such a word or phrase; ambiguity.
Origin: Obsolete French : double, double + entendre, to mean, interpretation.
double-entendre - Cultural Definition
A word or expression that has two different meanings (in French, double-entendre means “double meaning”), one of which is often bawdy or indelicate. A double-entendre is found in this sentence: “A nudist camp is simply a place where men and women meet to air their differences.”