- The definition of doggerel is awkward or poorly crafted.
An example of doggerel used as an adjective is in the phrase, "a doggerel piece of poetry."
- Doggerel is defined as awkward or poor poetry.
An example of a doggerel is a pathetic ballad.
- trivial, awkward, often comic verse characterized by a monotonous rhythm
- any trivial or bad poetry
Origin of doggerelMiddle English dogerel (Chaucer), probably from Italian doga, barrel stave, but influenced, influence by dog as in dog Latin: parallel with German knüttelvers, literally , cudgel verse, Provençal bastonnet, little stick, type of verse
Origin of doggerelFrom Middle English poor, worthless from dogge dog ; see dog .
- A doggerel poem or verse.