- Distillation is defined as a refining process that collects the pure liquid or vapors given off by heating and then cooling a mixture.
An example of distillation is how vodka is made from a grain.
distillation definition by Webster's New World
- a distilling; specif., the process of first heating a mixture to separate the more volatile from the less volatile parts, and then cooling and condensing the resulting vapor so as to produce a more nearly pure or refined substance
- anything distilled; distillate
distillation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The evaporation and subsequent collection of a liquid by condensation as a means of purification: the distillation of water.
- The extraction of the volatile components of a mixture by the condensation and collection of the vapors that are produced as the mixture is heated: petroleum distillation.
- A distillate.
simple distillation of water and alcohol
distillation - Cultural Definition
In chemistry, the separating of the constituents of a liquid by boiling it and then condensing the vapor that results. Distillation can be used to purify water or other substances, or to remove one component from a complex mixture, as when gasoline is distilled from crude oil or alcohol from a mash. When water is purified by distillation, it is boiled in a container, and the steam is sent into cooling tubes. The steam is condensed and then collected as purified water in a second container. The impurities in the water are left behind in the first container and can be discarded.
- Figuratively, “distillation” is the process of retaining the essential features or components of something while removing nonessentials: “This book represents knowledge distilled from decades of research.”
distillation - Medical Definition
- The evaporation and subsequent collection of a liquid by condensation as a means of purification.
- The extraction of the volatile components of a mixture by the condensation and collection of the vapors that are produced as the mixture is heated.
distillation - Science Definition