- Present participle of dissolve.
- The act by which something dissolves.
Variant of dissolve
intransitive verbdissolved, dissolving
- to make or become liquid; liquefy; melt
- to merge with a liquid; pass or make pass into solution
- to break up; disunite; decompose; disintegrate
- to end by or as by breaking up; terminate
- to disappear or make disappear
- Film, TV to combine or be combined in a lap dissolve
Origin of dissolveMiddle English dissolven ; from Classical Latin dissolvere, to loosen ; from dis-, apart + solvere, to loosen: see solve
dissolve in tearsor dissolve into tears