adjective dimmer, dimmest
- not bright; somewhat dark
- not clear or distinct in character; lacking definition, distinction, strength, etc.
- without luster; dull
- not clearly seen, heard, perceived, or understood; vague
- not clearly seeing, hearing, understanding, etc.
- not likely to turn out well: dim prospects
- Informal lacking intelligence; stupid
ME < OE, akin to ON dimmr, dark < IE base *dhem-, to be dusty, misty > damp, Ger dunkel, dark
transitive verb dimmed, dimming
- to make dim
- to make seem dim, as by comparison
- to turn (headlights) down by switching from high to low beam